Pacific Foundation Services, LLC (PFS) is a professional services firm that manages over 35 independent family foundations. We provide the support that foundations need to operate optimally, including strategic advice, board support, grantmaking programs, compliance, financial management and a physical home. With a current staff of 42, we value competence and camaraderie and work together to make the most of our collective experience. We thrive on collaboration and share our talents to provide top-level service to our clients.
Pacific Foundation Services (PFS) seeks a collaborative, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented full-time Communications and Engagement Manager (CEM) who is excited about helping PFS further develop its communications strategy. This newly-created position – and our firm’s first full-time dedicated communications hire – will report to the Vice President of Program & Engagement. The CEM will support external and internal communications and other community engagement activities that support PFS and its client foundations’ work. The CEM will be the day-to-day manager of the PFS brand, collaboratively supporting and serving as a bridge between PFS and external consultants/vendors while helping to create and implement new practices, tools, and systems aligned with communications and engagement goals. The CEM will play a critical role in identifying, supporting, and leveraging opportunities to publicly communicate about the work and impact of PFS and our client foundations. The CEM will support the Vice President of Program & Engagement in creating and implementing a long-term, integrated communications plan and calendar, promoting the firm’s core values and commitment to meaningful, inclusive, and effective philanthropy.
External / Brand Management (50%)
- Supervise the firm’s digital platforms, including website, email, social media accounts, as well as third-party sites where PFS has a brand presence;
- Ensure all communications materials and events are consistent with and representative of PFS values and quality standards in all client relations, from business development and new client orientation/onboarding to ongoing client engagement;
- Manage external partners and contracts relating to communications and engagement projects;
- Manage media relations, issues monitoring, and brand stewardship, including crisis management and preemptive planning;
- Evolve PFS’s existing e-newsletter to align with updated brand strategy; develop and manage editorial calendar; write original content and manage distribution through email marketing vendor;
- Provide research, writing, and editing support for PFS team member blog posts, articles, presentations, keynotes, op-eds and other communications opportunities in the philanthropic sector, as needed;
- Track philanthropy news and communications through regular scans of nonprofit and philanthropy media to highlight relevant content for PFS staff and client community;
- Help ensure team adoption of the forthcoming brand style guide, including use of templates and editorial conventions.
Internal / Client-facing / PFS Community (30%)
- Develop an understanding of PFS client foundations, their grantees and program areas, track newsworthy activities of grantee partners; identify and develop opportunities for storytelling across PFS platforms;
- Work with the Grants Management & Administration team on data collection and visualization, producing templates for client-facing materials (ex: board dockets, memo templates, specialized impact reports, etc.);
- Support client Team Leads in responding to client foundation requests related to communications, branding, and websites;
- Manage external vendors dedicated to communication projects for client foundations, including trafficking website content updates, development, and design needs;
- Work with VP of Program & Engagement in developing systems, processes, and tools to support collection and sharing of knowledge that is generated by client foundation teams, including the adoption of tools, messaging, and communications practices that align with and promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice priorities.
Events / Community Engagement (20%)
- With the VP of Program and Engagement, help curate activities and events that advance PFS’s values and vision through both staff-focused learning opportunities and larger, community-building offerings to client foundations;
- Manage and track communications activities across the organization; monitor and update a calendar of relevant events in the philanthropic and nonprofit field;
- Execute event communications including attendee invitations, registrations, response collection, and post-event follow-up;
- Manage event details, including AV requirements, refreshments, and space set-up/break-down; serve as point of contact for vendor contracts and payments; organize staff to support event needs.
- 5 years experience in a communications role, preferably at a nonprofit, foundation, or other philanthropic organization;
- At least three years experience managing and leveraging digital and other communications and engagement platforms;
- Demonstrated commitment to PFS values of generosity, respect, integrity, inclusion, commitment and humility;
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong project management skills, especially related to engaging and managing the input of various voices during the editing process, and the ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously;
- Demonstrated ability to develop thoughtful, effective communications plans with a firm grasp of audiences and messaging needs;
- Proactive, self-motivated work style with excellent organizational, planning and execution skills and stellar attention to detail;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and take initiative within broadly defined guidelines and complex procedures;
- High cultural competence and experience in working in partnership with diverse communities, including an appreciation for historical context, discernment of relationship nuances and power dynamics, and a keen understanding of social, racial, and ethnic differences;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and discretion about confidential matters;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and third-party email platforms;
- Familiarity with WordPress; experience in Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
PFS has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Santa Rosa. This position may be based in either the San Francisco or Palo Alto office. PFS staff is currently working in a hybrid fashion, combining time in the office with remote work.
PFS offers a competitive annual salary commensurate with experience of $95,000 – $105,000.
We are committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, and because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in salary negotiations outside of this stated starting salary range.
PFS offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, Section 125 plan, 401K retirement, charitable gift matching, public transportation subsidies, and more.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, salary requirements, and a resume to:
Jessica Misslin, Vice President of Program & Engagement
Application Deadline June 10, 2022
Hiring Process and Timeline:
- Phone interview to discuss general qualifications and give more detail about the position will be scheduled on a rolling basis;
- Interviews will be scheduled beginning in late June.
Pacific Foundation Services is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion, and our staff is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture but our reputation and the Firm’s achievement, as well. We consider all qualified applicants for employment and our company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information and characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state, or local laws.
All final candidates must provide three relevant employment references and be able to verify the right to work in the United States. Upon commencing employment, candidates will also be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as currently defined by the CDC. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law. However, applicants should be aware that this position requires close contact with a variety of individuals and accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable.